In this episode, the guys discuss the banks we use and how to optimize your bank accounts. If you found this podcast you’re probably familiar with the FI/RE movement that has grown in popularity recently. Here at the FI Garage, we’re all on the path to FI, however, we consider the RE part optional.
*This page includes affiliate links – donated by an asterisk. (Because we are bad at monetization all of our affiliate links for credit cards are through rate supermarket; if you sign up for a card through our link they split the affiliate fee with us 50/50) – Thanks for helping to support the podcast!
Beer #1 – Bintang Pilsner [0:35]
Useful Tool – The Smith Maneuver [4:05]
- Robinson Smith’s Master Your Mortgage for Financial Freedom
- TD Cross Border Banking [12:55]
- The Money Mechanic’s chequing account is the TD All-Inclusive Banking Plan [15:05]
- Laurentian Bank’s LBC Digital High-Interest Savings Account (HISA) – paying 3.3 percent [16:15 & 21:48]
- Credit Card Churning – Churning Credit Cards in Canada via Money We Have [18:15]
- EQ Bank [20:30]
- The Economist’s chequing account is the Island Saving (Credit Union) Simply Free Account [22:57]
- Tangerine’s chequing account [25:53 & 43:25] – e-transfers are now free! Consider using the Money Mechanic’s (27052379S1) or The Economist’s (28920188S1) referral codes* if you plan to sign up for a Tangerine Account.
- Shufflepuck Cafe’s Lexan Smythe-Worthington [31:25]
- Canadian New Bank Account Promos (A Free iPad or $350 Cash) via Gen Y Money [32:55]
- World’s Toughest Contest [34:02]
- Money for nothing, and Cheques for free via The Economist [34:35]
- Hourly Wage for Designing the Sears Tower (contains explicit lyrics) [35:50]
- Complete Guide to Canada’s Online Banks via Young & Thrifty [38:05]
- CDIC Insurance [38:25]
- Compare the Best High Interest Savings Accounts in Canada via Rate Hub [41:50]
- Should you jump on Laurentian Bank’s savings account with the 3.3-per-cent interest rate? via The Globe and Mail [42:13]
- Tangerine Credit Card* [43:55]
Beer #2 – Red Stripe [30:50]
The Accountant’s Hot Take [45:57]
- Pace it! Installment Plan from CIBC We do not recommend this product!